Wednesday, September 22, 2010

That's right, I said it

I was saddened the other day after riding by Bowman field in the afternoon on my way back from school.  I looked out across the field and saw three things. There were some kids playing lair up under the trees, and then some ultimate frisbee players, and some kids playing soccer.

I was saddened because the kids that everybody usually makes from of, the kids playing lair, were the best athletes on the field that day.

That's right folks, I said it. I do not view soccer or ultimate frisbee as sports or as taking any particular skill level above being able walk. I know, you have to be in shape or not have a lot of ambition to touch and stand there if you want to play.  But honestly, thats its one requirement, run around.  What happened to the days when every little kid wanted to grow up to be a football, baseball, or basketball star.  Now they just want to go to soccer practice.  They learn to get extra excited when one goal is scored. You don't see baseball players or football players go on a two minute love fest with each other because they score a run. No, they walk over and say good job because that is what you are supposed to do. 

I have never had the agony bestowed upon me of having to kick a soccer ball (thank God), nor have I competed in any of the other activities that were happening on Bowman that day.  I know that there are a ton of people that disagree with me, but there are probably a few that don't.  Madison is most likely one of them and anybody else that is a real athlete.

Just trying to stir some things up and make class a little more interesting

8 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Not because lair doesn't require skill or athleticism, because it does, and it is really fun.

    But because soccer and ultimate frisbee do require skill, and are indeed sports. I used to agree with you on the ultimate frisbee part, but I took a class last semester on frisbee sports and discovered that there are massive amounts of strategy involved when you get into a higher level of playing.

    As for soccer, you simply have to turn on the tv once every four years to see the World Cup. It's the one event (other than the Olympics) that brings the whole world together. I'm pretty sure you have to be skilled to play on that world level, and I'm pretty sure it counts as a sport. I don't really like soccer, but I used to be a goalie, and I can say from experience that it definitely takes skill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what lair is, but if those are the larpers then I absolutely love them. As far as seeing celebration goes... you don't see it so much in football because the NFL has banned celebration in the endzone. I remember when they were debating about it, and honestly? I miss the ridiculous stunts and dances.

    I'm still waiting to see kids playing Quidditch out on Bowman: http://www.internationalquidditch.org/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quidditch on Bowman would be amazing. I would just go to watch. I have no problem with the larpers, and agree to certain extent that they are in some ways better athletes (On that field). It does take more skill to play professional soccer, etc, but thats a separate issue, from what you said about those on Bowman, I can definitely see them being more athletic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Brett, if your gonna play a sport play something that requires actually being a good athlete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find some of the activities on Bowman funny. Ultimate frisbee and Lair or whatever its called aren't really sports in my opinion. Lair looks to me like what I did when I was little. We would sword fight and have imaginary games but I definitely don't think playing with foam weapons on Bowman is athletic. Ultimate frisbee is better but still requires less skill then most sports. The frisbee hangs longer for passes, there is no contact, etc. Soccer however is a sport just by what I have seen in the World Cup. I don't find it that interesting due to the low number of goals though. There is little excitement in soccer in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLn-X8YJRg

    This video really says it all. I definitely do have respect for the amount of coordination and running that goes into playing soccer but its kinda lame... not gonna lie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew there had to be a video out there that related to my post. And Madison, I will never include your name in a post of mine again, you have let me down with that comment about the world cup

    ReplyDelete
  8. Madison, bro, frisbee takes much more skill than you think. In football, you're assigned one task. Throw. Catch. Block. Frisbee, you throw, catch, intercept, and INTIMIDATE. Least thats how I play.

    I would prefer martial arts over Lair, but a wise man once said, "To each his own." :)

    ReplyDelete